Friday, August 21, 2009

To Hostels We Go Forth!

More Amsterdam!


Wednesday, Tori and I had a delightful picnic in Vodelpark. The grocery stores here have easier selections to make small meals out of. The deli selection and cheeses are delicious! The premade salads are amazing too. It's really quite nice, and it saves money over going out to eat every meal. Sitting in the park during dusk almost reminded me of a 4th of July night waiting for a fireworks show. There were people scattered everywhere with their blankets and food, laughing, singing, every one having a great time. I wish parks at home could be such social gatherings on an average weekday night in the summer time. I've just never seen anything like it, yet.



Thursday, our final day 'for now' in Amsterdam was well spent. It got hot hot! though. Too hot for Amsterdam weather. We were the first in line to Ann Frank. Getting up was not easy, but the 4 minute walk to her house was. Afterwards, Tori managed to get her share of Holland shopping in... I did pretty well I must say.

It really has been a treat to stay with Paul and Kitty. Kitty is the sweetest lady and Paul is so great. He is a walking history book. I've learned so much about Holland and European history from our conversations. He drove Tori, Laurien, Tobias, and I up to their cottage in the low lands about an hour outside Amsterdam. I must say, it was raining so hard I have no clue how anyone was driving. Paul said it rains like that once every 10 years in Holland. Crazy! We get storms like that every summer, but I sure don't like to drive in them either.


The interesting part of seeing the low lands was that it is completly man made. They built the dikes in the 70's and now there is a vast expance of land covered with farms, wind mills, and trees. The water managment skills of the Dutch are truly the best in the world.


Friday: Now Tori and I sit in our hostel in Brugge (Brugghhaaaa as it sounds in Dutch...). The room has about 12 beds, but smells clean. It also has a nice view of the city clock tower when you hang your head out the window.
The 2 computers we are on are in a bar which is also part of the hostel. I think it adds a lot of character. We managed to take a brief tour of Antwerpen on the way here, ate some Belgium waffles and so forth.

The backpacking/hosteling is sure to be an adventure. But like I said earlier to Tori at dinner, "the worst that can happen is our backpacks get stolen while we are eating this dinner, then on the way back we get jumped and all our cards/passports are stolen out of my inside pocket, and they leave us in our underwear."

At least we still have pretty churches to look at... Right?

-M

3 comments:

  1. Ahh! Your trip sounds amazing :)
    It is so good to see pictures of you guys. O MY GOD sissy, that backpack is as big as you are! You are going to be so strong when you come home! tehe but I am so proud of you for getting everything into it. The family you staid with sounds amazing, what a blessing to start the trip out with them. I am praying for you both and love you guys tremendously. Keep having fun and just enjoying each moment that you have and what you are getting to see. XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  2. *stayed.
    I am in college. Love to Brugge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. Looks like you are having a wonderful time. I spoke to Paul on Friday and he told me all about the rain storm. Tori's backpack looks bigger than her - hope she does not have to carry it too far. Have fun in Brussels and remember those Belgium beers taste great but sneak up on you. Hope you get a chance to link up with Ludi. She will be lots of fun. Take care and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete